And we are so in love.

.

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Veg.


I have been a flexitarian vegetarian ever since I was going to middle school in England.  Though it wasn't by choice - I have always been a big veggie person, but what happened was, one morning I woke up, went to meals, and I noticed that I have entirely lost the appetite for meat all of a sudden; the feeling and even the thoughts of swallowing meat gross me out. However, health problem occurred a couple weeks in, and the doctor told me that I am the type that can never be a vegetarian. Apparently my body needs that particular iron which can only be consume by actually eating red meat, so each week, I have to have a minimum of 5 onz red meat intake, which, most of the time, is very hard for me.  Hence, I am a "flexitarian" vegetarian.  I hate meat, think swallowing meat is disgusting, but I know I won't die if I eat a bit or two.  I do eat dairy products (a lot of them!!) and any kind of seafoods (YUMMM!!), and I do not mind bits of chicken floating in my soup (I just don't eat them) and I actually really like chicken broth (chicken broth chewing gum, maybe?).




To save time and confusion, when I go to parties or when I travel, I tell the host/airline that I am a lacto ovo, so I can make sure I get fed and I get my cow by-products without the flesh.  When I eat out, I always automatically go for the vegetarian option, rarely but there are still some restaurants in the midwest where they have fish or shrimp as an option.


Sadly, I have came across people who think someone else being a vegetarian is apparently "judging those who eat meat".  One time at a lunch conversation, I was asked why do I think I am better by being a vegetarian.

It cracks me up when people get all sensitive about other people's lifestyle.  I also don't eat dessert, and when I am offered any sort of sweets I always politely reply "Sorry, but I don't eat sweets."  Sugar also gross me out, once I stared at my fiance's birthday cake with all kinds of frosting on it and all I wanted to do was puke.  Apparently, me not liking dessert/chocolate/ice cream is also offensive to some people.  Some think I secretly love dessert but I am on a diet and so they tell me that I am already skinny so I need to let myself loose (they obviously missed the part when put triple the normal amount of butter on my pancake); some just simply tell me that I don't have a life.

Well, maybe I don't have a life.  I also don't like bread. Bread makes my throat dry.  And I kind of hate food with cheese, please don't put cheese on my salad, please don't put cheese in my burrito. Oh PLEASE don't put cheese in my soup!!!!  I'd also prefer no rice or beans or potatoes, pasta is also boring and I certainly don't get the point of being all crazy about pizza or sandwiches or anything that is just blahhhhhhh.

You may ask, so what DO you like to eat?


Butter chicken.  
We love this one place called Taste of India, and they love us enough to switch the chicken to fish for us :)




Soup. All kind of soup but especially chowder based.







Escargot!!!




So just recently somebody said to me "You can't be a vegetarian, you are Chinese! You guys eat EVERYTHING!!!".

Ha. Ha. Ha.

You know, America, I have seen the show Bizarre Foods in America and Man v. Food , I know what you eat.

I don't even want to know what this is.

No American can make that face when they hear a Chinese person say they have eaten dog meat or snake anymore if they have seen the shows themselves. See who's laughing now? Plus, to most americans I know, their food means "Macaroni and cheese" "Mashed potatoes" "Green Beans" "Beef/Pork roasts".  Okay, I guess anyone who eat anything besides those are barbarians.

I am leaving the Midwest for food soon. Simply can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Haha Unagi! And I noticed last time we went to taste of India how inferior the chicken is to the fish. I'm glad they remember us and that we could create a new menu item. I still like meat, but I prefer seafood, it's just that the Midwest doesn't do it very well, and it's usually not as fresh. I'm just sick of chicken, it is too dry and boring far too often. Also I don't think I'd call what you see on "bizarre" foods representative of American tastes, but yes there are some strange things out there. And I definitely agree that generally speaking American tastes are simple, and pretty generic by comparison to foods found around the rest of the world. Midwestern tastes are especially generic, there is a reason we have the phrase "meat and potatoes." But it is far too common and boring to me, who wants to eat a boring slab of meat, some potatoes and green beans when there is so much else out there? About the only thing I can say for it is it's easy and that is probably the biggest reason it's so common. There is just so much else out there and people are afraid to try...

    ReplyDelete